Remember a cat will always see a carrier as a negative thing as it always leads to a location they don’t enjoy! (unless they are one of our clients that enjoy the grooming/Vet).
Being in a car can also mess with their balance and therefore many cats cry.
Here are some tips to try and see it in a more positive light;
- It is best to keep the cat carrier open and easily available for your cat to walk into and even use as a bed.
- If your cat gets very stressed, a few random car trips with no negative ending, such as going straight home to a treat may reduce car stress and sickness.
- The night or morning before depending on the time of your appointment, keep your cat secluded to an area of the house, away from hiding spots. Many cats run off and hide before their appointments. Pushing a cat out from under the bed with a broom is bad way to start a groom or vet appointment and can lead to being stressed for their appointment.
- It is normal for a cat to soil in their carrier in the car, so make sure there is something to soak up any mishaps, a towel or bedding they normally use is good.
- Rescue remedy or a feliway spray can help the journey and grooming too.
- Always follow a travel in the carrier with a treat or favourite food.
- Another option is a car harness but this must be very secure and is not recommended for those travelling alone.
Want to learn more tips and tricks?
Sign up at https://bit.ly/CGEWLSignup
Who am I?
I’m Lexie Goldsmith,
My slow introduction and low stress handling techniques have been proven over 14 years of grooming cats without sedation and many happy clients, being the go-to cat groomer in my state.
I am contacted regularly by people all over the world wanting to learn cat grooming from me, and this makes me excited to see students now grooming cats with my videos, instructions and support.
I am a Qualified Veterinary Nurse, Pet Stylist and Master Cat Groomer, available for your cat grooming education needs.
Come join me on your cat grooming journey, I promise you will not be disappointed, I have a 30day money back guarantee for all courses.
More information on my courses here